If Death Occurs At Home
1. Telephone the doctor who will visit to confirm that death has taken place.
2. Contact a funeral director.
3. The GP will complete the doctor’s Medical Certificate of Death and this is emailed to the Registrars Office.
4. Please make an appointment at the registrars office. You can do this by clicking on www.northyorks.gov.uk/registrationbooking or by phoning 01609 780780. You can see the opening hours for the north Yorkshire office on the website. The Northallerton office is open Monday to Friday 9.00am to 4.30pm.
5. The Registrar will normally issue a Green coloured certificate for you to give to your funeral director who will look after necessary arrangements for the funeral. The Registrar will also issue a white notification certificate for the DSS. They will also enquire as to the number of Certified Copies you require for dealing with the deceased finances (a fee is payable for each copy).
If The Death Occurs In Hospital
1. Contact a funeral director to inform him his services are required.
2. Collect the certificate from the hospital then follow 4 – 5 as above
Note For Cremation
Your funeral director will usually liaise directly with the surgery regarding the additional certification required.
When someone has died, you may need to (or wish to) notify several different organisations about the death.
The chart contains suggested agencies or organisations to contact. You can print the chart and add your own notes. Please click here for the chart.