Lambert Medical Centre

01845 523157

Sick certificates

You do not require a doctor’s sickness certificate for any illness lasting seven days or less. Your employer may however require you to complete a self-certification form (SC2) which is available from your employer or on the HMRC website.

Evidence that you are sick

If you are sick for more than seven days, your employer can ask you to give them some form of medical evidence to support payment of SSP (statutory sick pay).

It is up to your employer to decide whether you are incapable of work. A medical certificate, now called a ‘Statement of Fitness for Work’ (see below) from your doctor is strong evidence that you are sick and would normally be accepted, unless there is evidence to prove otherwise.

You could also provide evidence from someone who is not a medical practitioner, e.g. a dentist. Your employer will decide whether or not this evidence is acceptable. If your employer has any doubts, they may still ask for a medical certificate from your GP.

Statement of Fitness for Work – ’Fit Note’

The ‘fit note’ was introduced on 6 April 2010. With your employer’s support, the note will help you return to work sooner by providing more information about the effects of your illness or injury.

For more information see the website (where this information was sourced).

How do I get a Fit Note?

If you have already seen a Doctor or Nurse Practitioner about your sickness please ask reception for a Fit Note. They will send a message to the Doctor and you or your representative can collect it from reception. This process normally takes around 72 hours. Please note that fit notes can be back dated at the Doctor’s discretion but cannot be forward dated. You do not need an appointment to obtain a Fit Note unless you have not been seen by any clinician about this episode of sickness before.